The HMS St Vincent Association is for all who trained, instructed at, or served as members of the ship’s company of HMS St. Vincent in Gosport or, latterly, in London. The objects of the Association are:
- To encourage, promote and facilitate the liaison of former Boy Seamen, Naval Airmen, Juniors and other service personnel who served at HMS St. Vincent
- To provide a central contact point for members seeking to contact old shipmates
- To provide a membership list to members from time to time
- To organise reunions from time to time
- To do all things and carry out all acts which shall, at the discretion of the Association Committee be deemed necessary to benefit and perpetuate the objects of the Association
Ganges Reunion and Dedication of a Book of Memorium- Sep 2014
HMS Ganges Association (Victorian Division) invite graduates of the Admiralty finishing school, instructors ships company their friends and families to come along to the City on the Bay and participate in an enjoyable time of various activities at the Australasian reunion to be held in Melbourne Victoria.
Summer 2014 Newsletter
The latest newsletter is now available to download.
Please Donate Items To Be Raffled
We would appreciate items to be raffled at the forthcoming Reunion Dinner and Dance.
Please Confirm Your Email Address
We’re asking all Members to ensure that we have their correct email address.
St Vincent Reunion Weekend – October 2014
The HMS St Vincent Association AGM and Reunion Dinner welcomes all members to the reunion weekend 2014.
Remembrance Parade 2014
The next Royal British Legion organised Remembrance Parade and March Past will take place on Sunday 9th November 2014.
New Photographs from Brian Smith
We have received some magnificent photographs from Brian Smith, who served at HMS St Vincent in 1958 to 1959.
Royal Navy Association Event Discount
One of the advantages of being members of the RNA is that they are entitled to certain discounts for various events. One of the best deals is regarding the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Tour.
We currently have over 5,100 images in our gallery, so if you haven’t seen them all, please take a look. If you want yours added to the collection, do not hesitate to email them to use at email@example.com.
HMS St Vincent
The original HMS St Vincent was a first-rate ship designed to carry 120 guns and launched on 11 March 1815. However, she was not put into commission until 1829, when she became the flagship of William Carnegie, 7th Earl of Northesk, under Northesk’s flag captain, Edward Hawker, at Plymouth Dockyard.
She was almost wrecked during a storm off Malta in February 1834. The warship was recommissioned for the channel Squadron in 1841 and was frequently in Portsmouth Queen Victoria visited her twice in 1842 and 1847. During the first visit the vessel acted as flagship to the experimental squadron at the last Royal Review of a fleet in which the major ships were under sail. After the second royal visit she took part in the war in the Baltic in 1854.
It was her last active engagement before she became a training ship for boys and was given a permanent mooring off the entrance to Haslar Creek in 1862.
She was broken up at Falmouth in 1906.
The name was given to the barracks and training establishment in Gosport in 1927, after the one that been set up aboard the old first-rate HMS St Vincent in 1862. The new HMS St Vincent was commissioned on 1 June 1927, originally like its predecessor as a training establishment for boys and juniors. On the outbreak of the Second World War, the boys were evacuated to the Isle of Man, where they merged with those evacuated from HMS Caledonia to form HMS St George, which was formally established in 1939. HMS St Vincent meanwhile became a training establishment for officers of the Fleet Air Arm and an overflow for the Royal Navy barracks. A signal school was also established. A torpedo training section was opened on 22 July 1940.
St Vincent reverted to being a boy’s training establishment after the end of the war, and reopened as such on 1 December 1945. It continued to function as such until 1968, when it was decided to close St Vincent. The official closing ceremony was held on 8 December 1968, with the white ensign being lowered for the last time on 2 April 1969. The base was then handed over to the land agent the following day, 3 April 1969.